Functional Skills Tutor
Our client is looking for a Functional Skills Tutor to join their team in a role based at the Sir John Moore Barracks Winchester.
This role is a permanent position although for flexibility, you will be working a guaranteed 25 hours + a zero hours contract. Any hours worked over 25 per week will be paid at £22 per hour. This includes time teaching as well as any marking etc. For many weeks of the year full time hours are available although there are some quieter times of the year when you could be working 25 hours per week.
It is essential that you hold a minimum Level 4 teaching qualification which could be a CTLLS, DTLLS, PGCE or Cert Ed teaching qualification.
You will also need to hold a level 2 in Maths and English as a minimum as you will be delivering Functional Skills up to level 2.
You will be delivering Functional Skills Maths and English to the Army’s Phase 2 Royal Engineers.
The company are a provider of outsourced training services to the UK Ministry of Defence, other public sector organisations and private companies both in the UK and overseas.
This role will support functional skills delivery as part of the Army Phase RE Apprenticeship contract with the MoD.
• Teaching and coordinating English and Maths Functional Skills delivery, including conducting Initial assessment and diagnostics
• Acting as initial point of contact with the military staff at Winchester
• Create FS calendar from the military calendar and allocate staff to classes, including determining the split of levels and ensuring cover for Troop sessions
• Liaise with Lead Tutor to cover/reorganise staff to deal with staff absence or error
• Ensure all diagnostics/marking/marking certificates are completed/produced in a timely fashion and deadlines are met, by monitoring other staff members and prioritizing
• Liaise with the local BSDM in the identification, diagnosis and support of learners with additional learning support needs
• Ensure relevant and appropriate support for learners with additional or ESOL learning support needs where required
• Supporting and motivating learners in their studies
• Undertake other specified duties including course/resource development, tutorial support and associated administrative tasks
• Have available an up-to-date syllabus and schemes of work (showing methods of delivery) for each course/class taught
• Prepare suitable teaching and learning materials for a range of courses/classes and make use of a range of appropriate delivery methodologies
• Ensure accurate records are maintained as required of all student assessed work, report progress and registers or otherwise at appropriate, including timely completion of Best Books
• Follow all agreed Quality Assurance Systems and Risk Management systems and comply with all policies and procedures (e.g. Health & Safety and Equal Opportunities) and ensure that these policies are followed
• Undertake appropriate staff development activities that support personal development, including inducting/supporting new or temporary staff and ensuring your own teaching practice conforms with standards
• Address staff issues and queries, with support of Functional Skills Manager where appropriate, and organise/monitor staff workload/output
• Responsibility for monitoring and ordering stationery and other delivery requirements
• Network and promote FS within the Army
Key Performance Indicators
• Ensuring all requirements of the contract are fulfilled.
• Maintaining accurate records for student assessed work, progress reporting, examinations and other administrative requirements
A wide range of internal and external stakeholders including:
• Functional Skills Manager, Quality Manager
• Administrative/HR and Finance Staff
• HQ ITG
• Basic Skills Development Manager
• To be responsible for your own welfare by following the Health, Safety and Environmental Policy and other related policies such as Equality, Anti-Bribery and Corruption, Prevention of Harassment, Public Disclosure “Whistle-blowing” and Data Protection etc.
• Execute the responsibilities of your role according to standards, as set out in the Code of Conduct and staff handbook.
• Take responsibility for personal CPD and lifelong learning.
• To maintain a professional image and enhance the company’s reputation for quality and service.
• To undertake/perform other duties associated with this role, by agreement.
Skills / Experience / Qualifications
• Relevant teaching and/or training qualification (i.e. Cert Ed, PGCE, CTLLS, DTLLS)
• Level 2 qualification in Maths and English
• Experience of delivering functional skills (Maths & English) to Level 2
• Ability to embrace and develop practical and innovative delivery models for functional skills outside of classroom delivery models
• Ability to adopt industry specific contextualised functional skills delivery models
• Good ICT skills
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
• Flexible, adaptable and enthusiastic team-worker
• Experience of working with the Military or of delivering Functional Skills to soldiers
• Experience of delivering Functional Skills to Level 2 in the workplace
• Experience of delivering Functional Skills to Level 2 using practical delivery models
Job Ref: JV1308
Post Title: Functional Skills Tutor
Location: Winchester, Hampshire
Hours: 25 hours per week + 0 hours contract. Any hours worked over 25 hours is paid at £22 per hour.
Holidays: 25 days per annum + Public Holidays
Salary: £25,000 per annum Pro Rata + 0 hours contract. Any hours worked over 25 hours will be paid at £22 per hour, this includes time teaching and marking. 25 hours guaranteed (Approx. £16,666.67 before Tax and NI) + £22 per hour for any hours worked over 25.
Benefits: Pension scheme. 2.5% - 8% of salary + the company will put twice as much in. Childcare vouchers, cycle to work schemes and other benefits available
Travel: You will be based at Sir John Moore Barracks, Winchester.
Reporting to: Manager